This report details the clinical visits made, meetings held, and teaching carried out during the visit to Addis Ababa. These were conducted on behalf of Hospice Ethiopia UK (HE UK), a UK registered charity.
The visit was planned and carried out by Sue Mumford (SM; Community Specialist Palliative Care Nurse and Chair of Hospice Ethiopia UK) and Dr James Mumford (JM; General Practitioner and & Trustee of HE UK) who funded themselves. The overall aims of the trip were accomplished.
Aims of visit
- To provide ongoing support to Hospice Ethiopia (HE).
- To provide supplies of equipment difficult to source in Ethiopia e.g. colostomy bags, urinary catheters, some medications etc.
- To review the last quarter’s report (July-September 2017).
- To review and understand the budget plan for 2017.
- To speak with Nurse Yohanna who we met in March 2017 and has started work at Hospice Ethiopia since our last visit.
- To join in Home Care visits.
- To see Outpatient and Day Care in action.
- To teach a 3 morning palliative care course to Nurses working at Strong Hearts Ethiopia and Cancer Care Ethiopia.
- To meet with Health Care Professionals with an interest in palliative care (PC).